Welcome to My Blog

A multi -faceted look at one Chinese woman's life. including musings about travelling and family life...

Tuesday 26 January 2010

Scrumptious snacks to die for! And going back to my Chinese roots...

          
Dim Sum which are little 'snack' foods, originates from South China/Hong Kong....and generally served for breakfast or early lunch.  Click here for more info
In Belfast I discovered a restaurant called 'Lee Gardens' that does really fresh dim sum.   I have eaten in there a number of times and would describe my experience there as first class.....each dim sum dish costs about £3-00 per steamed basket.        Apparently it can take a period of up to ten years to master the skill of dim sum making......

My uncle is an expert in Chinese pastry/bun making.......I remember years ago when my dad owned a restaurant & my auntie & uncle were co partners my uncle would occasionally bake these lovely light pastries, some with Char sui fillings in them, others with sweet fillings such as red bean paste....He had an apprentice baker who later went on to open his own Chinese bakery in the centre of Belfast behind Donegal Pass (the Chinatown of N.Ireland - not as impressive as the C'towns in London or Manchester, but there are plenty of eateries in this street).

GROWING UP & LEARNING CHINESE

At the age of 11, my parents enrolled my sisters, my brother and I at the local Cantonese 'school' in Belfast, we had Cantonese lessons for 2 hours every Sunday afternoon........I used to hate going - how I managed to win 2nd prize & get my name printed in a national Chinese newspaper I do not know but I owe it to my mum & dad.  Now that I'm older I do appreciate that my parents were doing their best for us.

No comments:

Ryan sings......